Pages

7 Oct 2011

SIP - Silent Running Design Analysis

During the week I watched a movie that was recomenned to me by Alan. That film was Silent Running.


Stars Bruce Dern as Freeman Lowell, a nature-loving crewmember aboard the Valley Forge, a gigantic spaceship in a small fleet that carries the last surviving forests of the Earth, which has fallen victim to overpopulation and ecological neglect. Freeman's name reflects his nonconformist philosophy, which runs counter to the prevailing recklessness of his three ill-fated crewmates, who are eager to jettison their precious payload and return to the bleakness of Earth. Before they can sabotage the forests, Freeman does what he must, and spends the remainder of his mission with three robotic "drones" as his only companions, struggling to maintain his sanity in the vastness of space - Amazon.com

The main resoan I watched this film was for the design choices that where made in regards to the space ready Forest Domes, These domes relate so closly to my planned SIP model that it held many strong ideas.

Three things I picked up on and want to incorporate into my idea to further understand the logical side of the ship are:

1.
The underside of the dome houses the storage for the dome. Be this water or soil.
For my ship I see a very similar way to house the nessecary equipment that the tree requires to live. Except I see the roots that come from the bottom of the ship and tree (as descripbed in the Novel) to entwine with the structures, further combining the two.

2.
The Dome inself was patterned, providing the light and weather.
Whilst my Containment field (which would act as the dome) would not be patterned, there will be structures that run the length of it, providing light and the needed weather.

3.
There was a contrast between the forest itself and and the mechanical base.
Again, I see this as very similar to my vision of 'Yggdrasil'. The base would be more mechanic that the rest that would invoke a more natural, spiritual look. The differnece being that the roots of the tree would enfuse with the mechanical over time, giving it a 'grown' look.


0 comments:

Post a Comment